Re: Installation question.

  • From: Anna K Byrne <annakb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 07:48:11 -0500

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but maybe.  Here are parts
of two posts from last year sometime.

Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:24:07 -0400
Subject: [JFWlite] Alternative speech outlet

Hi, in case anyone wants a way of changing their sound card drivers or even
installing a new sound card and still have speech with out an external
synthesizer, I have found a way. I purchased a digital head set and windows
sees it as its own little sound card. By going into the control panel and to
sounds and audio devices and choosing the digital head set as your preferred
audio device and checking use, only preferred devices all the sounds
including jaws will bypass your sound card and go through the head set
instead. This USB digital head set is also plug_and_play and does not need
drivers so it would even work for sound when installing with an answer file
if you do not want to go through making a bootable XP CD with extra sound
drivers. You will get sound from the headset so you can install your sound
card drivers using the digital head set for speech.
snip

Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:37:34 -0400
Subject: Re: Alternative speech method

I got it from best buy, details below:
Plantronics Digitally Enhanced Foldable Stereo Headset

Model: DSP-400

$69.99

Regards,
Terrill Reynolds,