Re: Indent and text editors

  • From: "1SmartDog@xxxxxxx" <1smartdog@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 10:51:03 -0600

Dave,

I defer to the programming professionals at the University of Oklahoma who provided the following, along with a considerable amount of very helpful information concerning the text editors appropriate for writing programming code:

"Wordpad is perhaps better viewed as a very limited word processor, rather than an enhanced text editor. It defaults to a proportional font and RTF (rich text format) for saving files. If you try to write (for example) Stata do files in Wordpad you may have considerable problems saving them with the extension do, trying to get Stata to read your RTF file, etc. Although Wordpad has many extra features compared with Notepad, these are essentially word processing features and are of no use for editing text files. Hence I do not recommend it for that purpose."

The Wordpad you describe here is a "word processor" not a "text editor" in the language of writing code. At any rate, I was referred away from both to a more appropriate application. So, the answer to the question I did ask has been answered. JFW will, of course, behave differently in a text editor (Notepad) than it will in a word processor (Wordpad).

If you're interested and would like the links to the information the univesity guys referred me to, I'm glad to send them off list.

Karen

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Durber" <d.durber@xxxxxxxxx>