RE: How do I keep my ms word format from going back to the default?

  • From: "emarquette" <emarquette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 05:09:05 -0500

Chad:
There are lots of ways to do what you want to do.  You have already
heard some, and they work, but they are, in general, based on so-called
"direct" formatting, what we all learned in the WordPerfect for DOS
days.
Virtually any Word trainer (at least in the sighted world) will
encourage you to do one or both of the following: use a template and
create styles.
Templates.
If you have complex formatting that requires specific margins, fonts,
font changes, bold requirements, and the like, you can create a
template.  Check out the Word help files for creating a template.
Then, when you want to create a paper, choose File and then New.  Don't
use control plus N.  Use tab until you come to general templates and
then pick your research paper or other templates.  Word already has some
built-in templates.  There may already be one close to what you want.
In that case, all you have to do is modify that template and save it
with a different name.  Be sure you save it with the .dat extension.
Styles
Whether you place styles in a template or you simply want a set of
formatting to be available at all times, styles are definitely the way
to go.
First, be sure your word default styles don't already do what you want.
I have so modified my default styles that I cannot check for you.
To see what is available, (within a test paragraph) press control plus
shift plus "s" (for style).  Immediately start pressing down arrow to
see what is available.  When you find something that seems to fit, press
enter.  The next time you want that style, press control plus shift plus
s and type the first few characters of the style name and hit enter.
If you find nothing you like, create your own style.  It is pretty easy.
Just go into format, styles, and new style.
Give the style a descriptive name such as "body text double space."  In
the style, you can decide whether it should be justified, block
indented, first line indented, font size, and bold or regular.  You can
even specify the style of the next paragraph.
So, you may want to create a style called block indent.  Even if your
papers are otherwise double spaced, I'll bet long quotations need to be
single spaced and block indented.  Just apply a "block indent" style to
that paragraph.
Once you start a style for a paragraph, it will carry forward from
paragraph to paragraph automatically, until you change the style.
Use the heading styles for section headings.  Add automatic numbering to
the styles.  That way, you can create a table of contents, can keep
track of the outline levels of your headings (that is, headings and
subheadings) automatically.
The JFW tutorial is pretty good about discussing templates.  It does a
good job in describing how to use styles.  It doesn't even touch on
creating styles.  That is unfortunate, because they are not that hard.
 Good luck!

Ed Marquette
930 West 34th St.
Kansas City, MO 64111