Re: Help with active-x controls

  • From: "Tom Lange" <trlange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:55:14 -0800

Hi Jeanie,
You wrote:
> Every time I try to click on a link on the web site I need to access, I
get
> the following message:
>
> Microsoft internet explorer dialog:  Your current security settings
> prohibit running active-x controls on this page.  As a result,, the page
> may not display correctly, okay button.
>
> This prevents me from even getting in far enough to put in the user name
> and password.
>
> I am running win 98 SE, JFW 5.01, and IE 6.0.
>
> Any suggestions or instructions would be very much appreciated.

You'll need to go into Internet Options and the Security Tab. When you get
there, select the web content zone that you're dealing with, in this case
probably Internet. Then click the Custom button. That will bring up a dialog
containing a tree view. In that tree view is a group of options dealing with
specific types of Activex controls. On each one of those options, you'll be
able to tell the system to enable it, disable it, or prompt you for input
regarding the control in question. I've run across this before when looking
for some sort of Windows or Office update and remember turning on the ones
that were considered marked as safe. Those that were unsigned or otherwise
marked as unsafe I disabled. If you want to see what controls are involved,
turn prompt on and make a decision each time. It will give you an idea of
what's occuring on the page. I don't know if this is clear, but I hope it
helps.

  Tom