Help: Windows Guru Wanted!

  • From: Chris Smart <chris_s@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 12:08:32 -0500

HELP!!

I've managed to mess up my machine, not to the unbootable stage or anything, but it needs serious fixing up. Is there anybody on this list who would correspond with me privately to answer a few questions, mostly to do with transfering application settings, windows settings, and application data between various Windows user accounts? Mostly, I just need someone to act as a soundingboard for ideas as I go about fixing things, to make sure I don't mess things up further.

By the way, this all started when I tried to completely cleanse my system of Jaws 10 and the changes it made when it was installed, hoping to revert back to previous versions. Somewhere along the way, that turned into Windows being unable to load my user profile, and creating a temporary one for me. I'm not saying that Jaws is at fault here; it's probably something I caused, while uninstalling and reinstalling numerous times, or maybe I accidentally messed something up in the registry. *sigh* It is dismaying when things can get this screwed up, given that I've been using PC's since 1991.

I'm currently reading
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp

Having never booted into safe mode before, my first question is, how do I go about this, and bring up Jaws in the process?

Again, I'd like to take this off-list because of the obviously off-topic content.

Chris