Help Desk Still In Operation, Eagerly Awaiting Your Calls

  • From: "Ray Campbell" <ray.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <braillenote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gw-info@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <VICUG-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 09:52:11 -0500

Hello All:

Sorry for the cross posting, but I just want to make sure everyone knows
that our Adaptive Technology Help Desk is still in operation and that we
eagerly await your technology calls.  Please read the below press
release.

Thanks,

Ray Campbell, Help Desk Technician
Adaptive Technology Center
Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
1850 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL  60608
312-997-3651 (Voice/Relay) or
888-825-0080 (voice/Relay)
ray.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
AIM Screen Name: tclhelp

=====start press release text=====

IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 12, 2008

Contact:
        Dominic Calabrese
        312/997-3662
dominic.calabrese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chicago Lighthouse Assistive Technology Computer HelpDesk
Hopes to Expand Service

CHICAGO - In an ongoing effort to accommodate people across the country
who are visually impaired and in need of technical support, The Chicago
Lighthouse hopes to expand its toll-free telephone assistive technology
support line.

Since it was developed in 2006, the service has accommodated over 1,500
requests for assistance from individuals in 48 states, Canada, China and
South Africa.

Servicing the calls is Ray Campbell, a former engineer with Lucent
Technologies who now works in the Lighthouse's Adaptive Technology
program.  "I've taken requests from Delta Junction, Alaska to Pilots
Knob, Missouri; from Bird Island, Minnesota to Sasketoon, Saskatchewan,
Canada; and from Lanzhou, Cansu, China to Somerset West, South Africa,"
Campbell notes.

"Our intent is to offer a one stop place where people who are blind or
visually impaired can get the assistance that they need," he says.
Campbell points out that he is able to listen to what JAWS or WindowEyes
is saying and walk the caller him right through their problem.

"I've assisted people with everything from installing Antivirus software
to helping someone navigate the eharmony.com site using JAWS to
assisting organizations with designing an accessible website to showing
someone how to find Game Day Audio on the Major League Baseball website,
www.mlb.com to assisting someone in accessing his credit card statement
on-line," he continues.

Campbell's assistance has been well received across the country.  "I've
got one gentleman in South Carolina that calls me two to four times a
week to ask for my help," he says.  One lady Campbell assisted in San
Francisco wrote a letter thanking the Lighthouse for offering the
HelpDesk service and praising Campbell for his assistance.  "People
contact me as they value my opinions on what technology they should buy,
and while that's a bit scary it also feels very good," he smiles.

Campbell adds that if he can't resolve the issue over the phone or
through e-mail, he will schedule an on-site visit as long as the
customer resides in the Chicago metropolitan area.

The program was made possible when the Lighthouse successfully matched a
$41,000 grant from The Boeing Company.

"We're tremendously grateful to Boeing for their support and we intend
to use the support line in strengthening our level of customer service
and showcasing the Lighthouse as a national leader in adaptive
technology," says William Bielawski, program manager for adaptive
technology and office skills training at the Lighthouse.

Bielawski notes that any blind or visually impaired person could contact
the support line regardless of what product they're using.

"It can be any hardware or software relating to assistive technology as
long as the customer is visually impaired," he says.

Bielawski encourages calls from employers, counselors, teachers and
other individuals who work with people who are visually impaired.

"We're excited to have an opportunity to make it easier for people with
visual impairments to take advantage of the many technological
advancements that are now more readily available."

The Chicago Lighthouse is one of the nation's most comprehensive social
service agencies.  Housed under its roof are the nation's oldest low
vision clinic; one of the few remaining clock manufacturing facilities
in the U.S.; a nationally acclaimed school for children who are blind
with multi-disabilities; a VA program serving veterans in all 50 states;
and a radio station.  The agency provided education, referral and direct
services to more than 70,000 people in fiscal year 2007.

     ###