Re: Hearing jaws while playing music

  • From: "Don Moore" <donmoore@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 19:06:48 -0400

Hi Larry and Gene,

My PC has a built-in or onboard sound card that came with my original purchase. I bought a SoundBlaster Odigy sound card and inserted it in the slot at the back of my tower. Then, I purchased a mixer board from Radio Shack and plugged it into a USB port on my tower.

I have 6 ports on my mixer board, so I ran a cable from one port to the onboard card and another cable to the external card; that way, I can control each volume separately.

Now, by default, all audio on my PC uses the external SoundBlaster card. So, I had to tell JAWS to use the onboard card, as follows:

In order to have JAWS running off the on-board sound card (i.e. the RealTech sound card) instead of the SoundBlaster Odygy, you must insert the following line into the jfw.ini file of the JAWS version you are using:

Synth1Port=Realtek HD Audio rear output

This line must be inserted in the new jfw.ini file each time you upgrade to a new version of JAWS; otherwise, JAWS will run off the SoundBlaster card just like everything else on your PC. The line must be inserted just above the first line that starts with Synth2. The path for the jfw.ini file for JAWS 9.0 is:

C:\Program Files\Freedom Scientific\Jaws\9.0\jfw.ini

   Hope this helps,

   Don

----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Stansifer" <larrys@xxxxxxxxxxxx>