Re: Have you heard of opendns, Are you getting my messages now?+failure notice

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 15:12:32 -0500

Hi. With so many people on this list with varying computer expertese, it should probably be noted that the below directions, especially those having to do with changing the windows registry, should only be performed if you absolutely know what you're doing. If you make a mistake and change a value to the wrong thing, you could either find yourself without a working internet connection, or worse, a non-working computer. Believe me I have absolutely no problem with the directions, but I'm hoping that someone who is just learning how to use computers doesn't try this or they could have a few problems and would need to possibly re-install windows. Also, Open DNS is in fact free to use, it doesn't cost a single thing and has been around since July of 2005. I don't use it myself, but i've heard very good things about it even from broadband users.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

At 12:04 PM 7/7/2007, you wrote:
Hi David:
I have no problem getting your messages but the problem is when I send one back to you it comes back undeliverable.

I have heard of open DNS, but personally would not spend my money on it unless I was using dialup and having trouble with dropping connections.

. DNS

Short for Domain Name System (or Service or Server), an Internet service that translates domain names into IP addresses. Because domain names are alphabetic, they're easier to remember. The Internet however, is really based on IP addresses. Every time you use a domain name, therefore, a DNS service must translate
the name into the corresponding IP address. For example, the domain name
<http://www.example.com>www.example.com
 might translate to 198.105.232.4. The DNS system is, in fact,
its own network. If one DNS server doesn't know how to translate a particular domain name, it asks another one, and so on, until the correct IP address
is returned.

It is better to ask your ISP their three main DNS server addresses they use and enter them into your router, starting with their main one first.

You can only use 3 static DNS addresses. If none of the three connect on time then it will look for a DNS server besides those three who will connect,
this
is valid with any system and is always best to use your ISP's DNS.

A few thing you can try are below:

1. Try flushing your DNS cash. it just helps pages load faster by reducing the dns iplookup time.

Win2k andXP include DNS caching, which caches hostnames and thus increasing faster page loading. I should mention however, that both resolved and

unresolved hostnames are

cached. So you may want to periodically empty the dns cache to clear any

problem sites

and start over To do that, click Start>Run and type:

ipconfig /flushdns

If you want no cache at all, just set all the reg values to 0.

2. If possible get a static IP, I have one and it costs me only five dollars a month, call your ISP and see what the cost is.

3. Call your ISP and ask them what are the three DNS addresses they use, then insert them into your router.

4. If your using a router, then turn off windows firewall.

4. Go to control panel, to network connections, then to your local area connection and hit the applications key, then enter on properties.. Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) " in the list view then hit control tab to go to the general page. Now hit space bar on the advanced button. Now control tab to the WINS
Options and unchecked "LMHOSTS lookup"

5. make sure your router is set to always on or time out is set to zero.

5. make sure the firmware on your router is the latest version.

6. Go to run and type in regedit and navagate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{26E20245-7E51-473F-9F02-C701C697ED02}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\Block Senders

* note the long number in this key may be a different number, but thats OK.

Now go to the file menu and select export while focused on "Block Senders" and select export. Give it the name of Block Senders and tab to ok.

Now find the reg key you just made usually in my documents and should be called "Block Senders.reg", zip it up and send it to me as an attachment so I
can
look at it.

7. If you don't use a network printer then remove print sharing by going to your network connections in control panel, focus on local area connection,
hit
the applications key then find print sharing in the list and tab to remove, then to OK. In addition check"Notify me when this connection has limited or
no connectivity ".

8. when you get one of those Email that have the exes, or any e-mail you think is questionable; don't open the message but while focused on the message hit alt plus enter to go to the properties, then control tab to the headers page and select everything in the read only edit field and paste it into a
message and send it to me so I can see what is going on.

9. Check your ISP's website and see if they have virus scanning and span filtering or gray scale. If they do then log on and turn off their virus protection
and span filtering service as well as gray scale.

10. If you use Norton, then turn off both check incoming and outgoing e-mail scanning in the Email option and also turn off office Plugin in miscellaneous
options.

. if you can not find the office option to turn off the office plug in the do a search for "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\OFFICEAV.DLL"
and rename it OFFICEAV.DLLto .old.

. I will know more what is going on and can give better advice with this information.

With this information I can help you much better my friend.

Have a nice day.<smile>

Below are some tips that could fix alot of your network problems:

. In Registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters, add or change the value named GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize, changing its current data
of (none) to 32767.

. In Registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters, add or change the value named TcpWindowSize, changing its current data of (none)
to 32767.

. In Registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters, add or change the value named Tcp1323Opts, changing its current data of (none)
to 3.

. In Registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters, add or change the value named SackOpts, changing its current data of (none)
1.

. In Registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters, add or change the value named EnablePMTUDiscovery, changing its current data
of (none) to 1.

. In Registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters, add or change the value named DefaultTTL, changing its current data of (none)
to 128.

. In Registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters, add or change the value named EnablePMTUBHDetect, changing its current data
of
(none) to 0.

. In Registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters, add or change the value named TcpWindowSize, changing its current data of 32767
to 32767.

. In Registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters, add or change the value named EnablePMTUDiscovery, changing its current data
of 1 to 1.

. In Registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters, add or change the value named GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize, changing its current data
of 32767 to 32767.

. In Registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters, add or change the value named EnablePMTUBHDetect, changing its current data
of
0 to 0.

. In Registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters, add or change the value named DefaultTTL, changing its current data of 128 to
128.

. In Registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters, add or change the value named SackOpts, changing its current data of 1 to 1.

. In Registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters, add or change the value named Tcp1323Opts, changing its current data of 3 to
3.

. In Registry key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters, add or change the value named MaxThreads, changing its current data
of (none) to a user-specified value, 35 is a good value.

. In Registry key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters, add or change the value named MaxCmds, changing its current data
of (none) to a user-specified value, usualy 35 is good here also.

HTH

Best wishes,
Terrill Reynolds
----------
Email:
<mailto:Terrill1@xxxxxxxx>Terrill1@xxxxxxxx
Windows Messenger:terrillreynolds36@xxxxxxxxxxx
Yahoo:terrillreynolds
AIM:terrill36
PH:(910)842-7701

From: "Terrill Reynolds" <
<mailto:terrill1@xxxxxxxx>terrill1@xxxxxxxx>
To: "David ingram" <
<mailto:dingrram269@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>dingrram269@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Have you heard of opendns?
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 12:54:37 -0400
x-mimeole: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3138

------=_NextPart_000_006A_01C7C095.F9A72790