Re: HP 4900, Jaws not loading

  • From: "Greg Epley" <gregepley@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 07:48:17 -0600

Hi Keith,
I know the feeling...

On the floppy issue, I myself had to wait about a week for an HP USB floppy
drive to arrive that my wife ordered off eBay.  I suppose it doesn't need to
be an HP floppy drive, just so long as it's USB.  I was able to install my
authorization off the floppy with no problems from that drive.  Systems are
definitely going this way, with no floppy; I suppose because there are
memory cards and sticks and USB Thum or Jumpdrives, and because one can
purchase USB connected floppy drives now.

I have never encountered the video intercept problem on restart to install
JAWS but perhaps that was just dumb luck on all the systems I've put it on
over the years.

Next time you see the video intercept error, try launching Microsoft
Narrator (Windows Key + U).  Narrator should launch automatically; if it
doesn't you should seek some sighted assistance to get it going from the
Utility Manager that launched.  Then Alt+Tab over to the video intercept
error and tab around a little; there is an option to "Install video
intercept" and an "Execute" button (I think); that has always gotten the
video intercept installed for me.

Barring all that, the integrated video in your laptop may be at fault.  That
can be hard to diagnose until you are able to get some sort of speech
running on the system so you can examine the Device Manager yourself;
otherwise you would need to get a sighted person to tell you the info from
Device Manager, so you can tell what is going on there, things like the
specific name of the video card, and looking under it's properties, the
driver provider, driver version, driver date, can help you when you check
the Drivers and Downloads at the HP web site.

Of course it's always possible the system needs a little looking over by HP,
as one list member suggested to me, but I would try to examine every
possible avenue I could before resorting to that, as you would need to try
to uninstall things you don't want HP looking at.  Keep at it - persistence
often pays off in the end, and when it doesn't, you've still learned a lot.
-Greg