Fw: JAWS support? [Was Re: Seeking Window-Eyes testers for Mozilla]

  • From: "david poehlman" <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jfw users email list" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:09:37 -0400

Johnnie Apple Seed

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Leventhal" <aaronleventhal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Newsgroups: netscape.public.mozilla.accessibility
To: <mozilla-accessibility@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 1:35 PM
Subject: JAWS support? [Was Re: Seeking Window-Eyes testers for Mozilla]

Here's what I've posted about JAWS support on the Mozilla website
at http://www.mozilla.org/access/features

"JAWS screen reader and MAGic magnifier (lack of support)

JAWS does not work with Mozilla. We expect Freedom Scientific to
start working on the problem if Mozilla continues to make strides
in popularity and usability. Mozilla has the basic infrastructure
(MSAA plus ISimpleDOM* extensions) to support the needs of JAWS."

It can be counter-intuitive, but in reality making an application
as intricate as Mozilla screen-reader accessible requires work in
both products. It cannot all be done in the application's
codebase. Some work must also be done in the screen reader.

Freedom Scientific has indicated some interest, but no schedule
has been set.

- Aaron