Fw: Fw: removing Jaws - keyboard remanents

  • From: "Jim Talley" <nrg.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 07:51:41 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Randy Miller" <randy@xxxxxxxxxx> To: "Jim Talley" <nrg.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <alex.stone@xxxxxxxxx>; <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>; <Bruce@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 7:20 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: removing Jaws - keyboard remanents

Thank you all for your feed back. Here is the process that I used in my attempt to remove the Jaws software. (By the way, the OS on the computer that had Jaws, is XP with SP3. The keyboard had worked minutes earlier with a previous machine that was running Windows 98, however, I will check that as a possible solution).

1) Using the add / remove feature in control panel, I removed Jaws.

2) With Windows Explorer, I located the Jaws related folders within the "Program Files" folder. After deleting all Jaws related folders I emptied the recycle bin.

3) Next, I ran regedit and went into the system registry. Once in the registry, I did a search for Jaws related entries. I was fairly thorough in my search but may have missed some. Or I may need to use search terms other than "Jaws". I deleted entries that were clearly related to Jaws.

After rebooting I tested the keyboard using several programs such as Note Pad and Word. About half a dozen keys are not working. Most notable is the "P" key (as my niece's name is Payton). The three keys to the right of "P" were not working as well as the "enter key" directly below them.

I will try a new keyboard withing the next few days. If that does not correct the problem, I will survey all keys noting which ones are not functioning. If the problem persists I will explore a more detailed search in the registry and then look at files in the system and system32 folders of Window.

Any other ideas will be appreciated.

thank you,

Randy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Toews" <Bruce@xxxxxxxx>