Re: FrontPage Accessibility

  • From: "Martin Blythe" <martinblythe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 16:03:53 +0100

Ok since you seem determined here's how to do tables in front page with Jaws:
1 go to the table menu choose insert then table
2 You get a dialogue box
3 choose how many columns and rows you want just like in microsoft word
4 The default settings will be in pixels which wil cause variation in sizes due
to screen size and resolution, but 400 is around 2 inches as the default on my
computer
4 the first box that you hear the words border size - perhaps 10 indicates the
size of the lines round each cell, this is what I believe but I always put this
to zero anyhow.
5  Most confusingly the second control that Jaws speaks border size it's
actually the cell width it's on about and my default here is 400.  If you have
say 5 columns and you want your table across the whole screen I would suggest
20 and change the next control to % rather than pixels.
6 Hit Ok and you have just inserted a table at your insertion point.
8 Jaws now reads you nothing in page view so lets start all over again
9 My method here is to put some text such as table start and table end on the
lines immediately above and below where I intend to put my table
10 now when I insert my table i arro down to the line I know where the table is
and I insert a 1 in the first cell and tab once and type a 2 in the second etc
11 I now check my table in html view and the big surprise is that I do indeed
have a table with numbers in
enable you to set the row height just like you did the column width but again
you have the pixel and % dilemma.
13 You can go back into the table and paste in the items you want in each cell
over the numbers which makes it easier to know which cell you are working in.
Note this is instruction 13.
You really must be handy with tables in word for any of this to make sense as
Jaws will not tell you what row, column or even if you are in a table.
Now you know why I want to find some scripts.
Perhaps some one with some good reference material could point you that way as
short answers are hard here.
Hope it helps