Formatting in Word Using JAWS, Without Tabs

  • From: "Ray Campbell" <ray.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 14:22:57 -0500

Hello All:

I have been working with someone that is training to be a Medical
Transcriptionist through a company called Trans Am.  This company
provides on-line training.  They do not want my client to format her
documents using the tab key.  For example, there are places where there
are numbered lists in the document and the numbers have to line up under
each other, two inches from the left margin.  You can accomplish this
nicely with tabs, but as I said, Trans Am doesn't want my client doing
it that way.  I contacted my client's trainer and she said that the
reason they don't want tabs used is that it makes it harder if the
document editors, who I guess edit the documents after they are
transcribed, need to add additional items to the document.

They want my client to be able to correct formatting problems using the
ruler.  I don't know of a way to do this using JAWS.  I tried pressing
insert-/ to lock down the left mouse key and moving the text over and
this did not work.  The Trans Am trainer said something about using the
arrow keys to do this, but of course, when you move across the line with
right and left arrow it doesn't add anything before the numbers.  And, I
tried using the space bar to put extra spaces in to make things line up,
no luck, I couldn't get the numbers to be two inches from the left edge.

Anyone got any ideas on how my client canaccomplish formatting of the
documents without tabs using JAWS?

Thanks,

Ray Campbell, Help Desk Technician
Adaptive Technology Center
Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
1850 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL  60608
312-997-3651 (Voice/Relay) or
888-825-0080 (voice/Relay)