RE: Formatting in Microsoft Word

  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:29:38 -0000

Doug is quite correct, Word does have an automatic Table of Contents
feature.  If you use the Heading-1, Heading-2, Heading-3 etc styles
within your document, you can then use the TOC function.  You can set it
to how many levels of heading should be included in the TOC (ie setting
it to 3 will only show details up to Heading-3 in the TOC list).

To use, place your cursor at the point you want to insert the TOC,select
the Reference sub-menu from the Insert menu then select the Index and
Tables sub-menu.  Now press Control + tab to get to the Table of
Contents tab, fill in the info and press OK.

If you subsequently amend your document after the TOC has been inserted,
simply place your cursor anywherre in the TOC and press the Applications
key.  From the menu select  'Update field'.  This will then ask if you
want to update the entire TOC or just the page numbers.  Select the one
you want and press OK.

I've used it for years, it's very easy to use and very effective.

Cheers
Chris