Re: Formatting Long Document

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 13:10:19 -0700

hi chip,

while I'm guessing that you may have reasons for making this statement, I
have to disagree . for instance, when I'm composing a traditional letter to
be printed out hard copy and mailed with a stamp, I follow the traditional
practice of creating three blank lines between the last line of the
recipient's address and the salutation. Last line of address may be, let's
say, Beverly Hills, CA 90010. Now I hit enter four times. Then I type Dear
Mr. Spelling, hit Enter twice to leave a blank line there, and then begin
the text of my first paragraph.

Now, this is extremely conventional, just for example. And there are many,
many reasons a person might want to create any number of blank lines
purposely in this way, and it's not a violation of any usage rule to do with
Word at all. I say this as someone who's used Word as my word processing
software for nearly 25 years, fully sighted and visually impaired, both,and
for whom Word has been the main tool of my professional work in writing,
teaching and editing. So although there may be some reason you'd like to
teach this as a rule to blind Word users, though I can't figure it out on
the fly, it's otherwise not really the case. If you know this, but are
saying this as a simmplified training technique or something, sorry. But
what i describe above is normal usage.