Formatting Long Document

  • From: "Adrian Spratt" <A.Spratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 20:41:29 -0400

I accidentally deleted a query I meant to reply to, so I hope I've created a subject line that catch's the attention of the person asking.

I suggest going to
www.jfwlite.com
and downloading the program called Text Monkey Lite. It does an effective job of cleaning Internet documents and email messages. Debbie Scales wrote some helpful hints for using it.

However, if you prefer to do a search and replace for return key codes, keep in mind that replacing them all will also eliminate all paragraph breaks. Here's my technique for overcoming that problem. I first determine if the document separates paragraphs with two such codes. If so, I begin reformatting by searching for double instances of return key codes and doing a "replace all" with some rare key combination. The replacement I choose is three consecutive number signs. Then I go back to the start of the document and search for all single instances of the return and replace them with a space. Finally, I go back to the beginning and replace all my triple number signs with double enter codes.

The actual task is much simpler and faster than explaining it.