Re: Fixing JAWS and Windows Explore

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:17:00 -0700

Hi,
Thanks for passing on these settings for optimizing Jaws' accuracy.  I
reviewed my settings and found most of them in accord with these guidelines,
but one or two needed adjustment.

One question, and I'm posting this also to the JFW Lite list hosted by
blindprogramming:  Among these guidelines, as always, is the instruction to
eschew the use of a screen saver.
I've always wondered what the reason for this particular directive might be.
I'm partially sighted, and have always enjoyed creating a banner screen
saver with a few words of my choice.  I may not be able to read them clearly
(unless I make the font ridiculously large), but I know what the words say
as I see them flowing across my screen, and I like that others can see the
banner, as well.

What  impediment might this be to Jaws?  When the screen saver is displayed,
I'm not using the computer, and Jaws isn't confused about anything.  And
when I press a key, it's off, and no longer a factor in the display.  So
what's the problem with this?  My guess has always been that the rule
against screen savers is meant to save you the confusion it might cause if
you can't see it's on, or something.  But even that doesn't make sense to
me, as the first time you press a key, it's off anyway, and you hear Jaws
speak when it goes on, and maybe even when it turns off, though I've just
forgotten.

Anyway, maybe my guess is wrong and something about having a screen saver
enabled somehow corrupts or confuses Jaws' operation?

thanks to any who can answer with authority.