Re: FS In Good Company

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 18:59:24 -0700

I've read this passage over a few times, but I don't yet understand what it
means. I'm familiar with the history of the Los Angeles Times, including the
transfer of controlling interest from the Chandler family to the Tribune
Company, a change I think has been very unfortunate for the times in terms
of operating budget, first and foremost. Not quite catastrophic, but close
to it. What I'd like to know is what do you mean by this sentence. Please
understand, I'm not arguing with you. I'm saying I literally don't
understand what you're saying, here. The passage says that the Chandler
family formerly owned Freedom Scientific, and goes on to imply that you have
a low opinion of the manner in which they managed it. So far as I'm aware,
the Chandlers never have owned Freedom Scientific. Am I mistaken? Has this
company been one of their holdings until now?

Thanks.

you wrote:
somehow you think the Chandler family of Los Angeles, the former owner of
Freedom Scientific, was just as good as Ted Hinter or Dean blazie and will
be better than the Kuwaitis who bought it.

-- I disagree.  They combined a
hardware company and a software company, which is rarely done in the
technology industry, and never really took on the job of integrating
products.  they avoided the real work of product integration and apparently
lost patience with FS as they did with the Tribune Company, recently
forcing its sale.  With Tribune, they weren't happy with 20 percent profits
but a stagnant share price so they demanded liquidation.

Kelly