Eloquence problems on a new notebook

  • From: Garry Turkington <garry.turkington@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:03:39 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I've recently installed JFW (both versions 5.1 and 6.0) on a new HP
Pavilion DV1170US notebook.  JFW works from a functional perspective but
I'm having issues with software speech.  Searching the archives I believe
I see one other user having similar troubles but I didn't see if that was
resolved.

The primary problem is that software speech is accompanied by a constant
stream of popping noises and has a tendency to repeat the last part of any
string spoken.  The popping occurs only when speech is happening, the
audio otherwise is perfectly clear.  In extreme cases the notebook also
badly stutters entire strings of text, it seems each phoneme is repeated
several times with a bunch of reverb on top as well.  This last I seem to
have found a workaround for - changing audio speaker setup to stereo
headphones and using headphones.  Using the notebook speakers though this
seems to re-occur however.

I've tried the MSAPI 5.0 voice and that seems not to suffer the problem
nearly as much but I loathe that voice.  I've installed a bunch of MSAPI
4.0 voices and most have exactly the same popping background though some
suffer a lot less than others.  I suspect the pops occur alongside the
speaking of each phoneme but I obviously can't prove that.

The notebook has a Conexant AMC audio chip which seems to be some kind of
combined audio/modem package.  I've updated to the latest drivers but the
problem remains.  Anyone got similar experiences or thoughts on this one?
I've turned off any audio acceleration settings I can find and am a bit
stumped.

Regards,
Garry