Disabling Audible Manager scripts

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jaws Lite" <Jawslite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "JFW List" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Blind Audible" <BlindAudibleListeners@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 12:24:52 -0800

Hi everyone,
I'm a customer of the online digital book vendor audible.com who's having
serious accessibility problems with the latest edition of its interface,
Audible Manager Version 5.  For reasons I don't understand, tech support
isn't even able to install the previous version back to my system.  So it
looks as if I'll have to stay with the new version and make the best of it--
that is, if I can manage to use it at all, which I can't at this time.

Jaws 7 includes Audible Manager in its list of
popular programs for which scripts are included, but I think these scripts
are now obsolete and, from what I can infer from comments on the blind
audible listeners list, useless or even worse than useless.

On that list, some subscribers report achieving and/or regaining full
accessibility with this version by going into their Jaws/settings/enu folder
and disabling or deleting any Audible Manager script files they found there.

I'd like to try this, but I just looked into that folder, and the only
script file I see that I presume is pertinent is named manager.jcf.  Unlike
as is the case with script files for other programs, there are no additional
files with other extensions,just the .jcf file.

Perplexed, I launched Audible Manager and used the keystroke Insert Q to
have Jaws tell me which scripts were running.  But what it said puzzled me
even further.  It said manager.ex and something else which sounded pretty
much the same, but spelled out letter by letter.

As the more experienced can probably see, I've done my best, but obviously
don't understand what I've seen.  Can anyone help?  I'd love to get Audible
up and running for me again, soon.

Many thanks,
Daniel