Re: Dictionary question

  • From: Bruce Toews <water_drinker@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:09:26 -0600 (CST)

That's a problem, I suppose, with having thg so manythings being referred
to as a dictionary. Until computers, a dictionary was a book of
definitions. Then a dictionary also started meaning a word list for spell
checkers. Now, for speech users, a dictionary is also a pronunciation
guide for the screen reader. Three completely separate and distinct
things, but they're all referred to as dictionaries. To bring this back to
JAWS, the point is that the JAWS dictionary has nothing whatsoever to do
with spell-check or definition dictionaries, as Daniel has pointed out.

Bruce

--
Bruce Toews
For information on my weekly radio show visit