Re: Dialog and edit boxes not working in Win 7 with jfw 11!

  • From: "Robert Logue" <bobcat11@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 08:16:51 -0600

Don't know about your Win 7 problems. But, I can tell you. Forget running a repair before trying the automatic update again. It doesn't do any good. Much better to go the Jaws website and get the full download of the most recent version. It might help to backup your custom user files then have the installer remove your user files and start fresh. Then you can try putting back your custom user settings.

HTH

Bob
----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc Rocheleau" <marcrocheleau82@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 11:25 PM
Subject: Dialog and edit boxes not working in Win 7 with jfw 11!

Hi all,

I am getting very frustrated with jaws 11 and I'm even considering
switching back to an older computer with Windows XP and jaws 10
because I am just about fed up with this piece of crap. It seems like
it will work fine for about four weeks and then something else stops
working like it should, despite the fact that I've changed nothing on
my computer.

My latest fun is with jfw 11 pro 64-bit and Win 7 64-bit. I was
working in wordpad and everything was fine -- I went to open a file
and all of a sudden jaws lost the ability to read any of the files in
the open file dialog box. I restarted my computer and now find that it
will not read any text in edit boxes on IE and it will not read any
text in wordpad (I had to type this message in notepad and copy/paste
it over.)

Earlier tonight I tried running automatic update with jaws and it
couldn't install, giving me a message that I should try running a
repair because some necessary files may be missing for the update.

This is just turning into a huge headache: I am assuming that the
dialog box and IE edit box problems are being caused by the mirror
display drivers being screwed up but jaws is giving me no message
telling me so. Also, I can't read messages in MSN Messenger either,
when I press the ` key, it just says "No message thread one" or
something similar. I've had to uninstall and reinstall jaws 11 three
times now to repair the mirror display drivers (running a simple
repair never works) and I am just wondering if this would be the
correct way to fix the program again.

Also, has anyone else here had this many problems with the mirror
display drivers? If so, or even if not, does anyone have any
recommendations as to how I might avoid this in the future? It's just
starting to get a bit ridiculous on my end and I'm tired of having to
reinstall this program every month or two just so that it will work
properly. I've had nothing but problems since switching over to Win 7
pro and jfw 11 pro.

Can you guys sense my frustration!? lol

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

-Marc

Alternative archives located at: