RE: Dell's Media Direct Need shortcut keys

  • From: Sherrie Gosling <sillygoose4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:13:51 -0400

Hi Chip,
My new Dell was available in XP, thank goodness. I did check the language thing and it was okay. I could not find the download kodec automatically thing you mentioned. I think my file type selection is okay since I can choose play which takes me to Windows Media Player or Play with Media Direct from the file menu while in My Computer.

I was just playing around with the possible hot keys for Media Direct by pressing any old combination and found that control f and control s did something but I am not sure exactly what. Enter started it playing The DVD I had in had several sections and I think the control f moved it to the next section. I guess I will just have to sit and press keys until something might work. Not exactly the scientific method
Sherrie
.

At 10:04 AM 6/10/2008, you wrote:
I too would like any info you find out.

One suggestion on media player 11, which should work in playing dvd
sound: start up media player, choose the tools menu and the options
choice.  In the dialog, choose the dvd tab.  click the defaults button.

Check that the audio setting is set to the "title default" (it's the
very top choice), and not set to force a particular language.

As I understand it, if you set it to a particular language, it will look
for an audio track on the DVD listed as being in that language, instead
of playing the default audio track.

Also, I suspect it would be helpful if you identified which OS you're
running all this under (I just got a Dell laptop and it runs Vista).

We had a problem where we could not get the video, but we could get the
audio.  It turned out we needed to download a "codec" for vista.  This
info came from the internet, and pointed us to a codec or collection of
codecs that would likely work, and indeed it did, the video was present
after installing it.

I believe this can also happen with audio, that is, they can have their
own codecs which need to be present.  There's another setting somewhere
in media player, it was a checkbox which said "automatically download
codecs".  It should be checked.

If it is, then maybe you should go google on media player, dvd, and
sound to see if there's an audio codec you should download.

hth,

Chip

Chip Orange
Database Administrator