Re: DecTalk usb and JFW

  • From: Bruce Toews <water_drinker@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: JFW List <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:09:10 -0500 (CDT)

JFW 6.0 does not directly support the DecTalk USB. FS Tech Support knows how to deal with this. JAWS 6.1 and later do support the DecTalk USB.

Bruce

--
Bruce Toews

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Steven E. Marks wrote:

HI Folks,

I have a slight problem here.  I installed my DecTalk USB on my
computer today.  I am running Windows xp home edition and JAWS 6.0.  I
followed the instructions in the DecTalk USB manual.  I connected the
USB cable to the BecTalk and then to my computer with the DecTalk
turned off.  I then started my computer and turned the DecTalk on.  The
new hardware install wizard came up saying that the DecTalk USB had
been found.  I then inserted the cd that came with the DecTalk into the
cd drive and followed the prompts to the end of the install.  The
install wizard said the install was complete and the device was ready
to use.  However, I can not get Jaws 6.0 to recognize the DecTalk.  I
have done two repairs of JAWS and still the Dectalk does not show up
anywhere.  In the DecTalk manual it says something about configuring
the communications port.  Did any of you that are using the DecTalk USB
have to do this?  If so I need some step by step instructions on how to
do this.  I was under the impression that Windows xp was plug and play
for new hardware.  I didn't have to do much of anything when I
installed a new printer and zip drive several months ago.  So, any
suggestions about what I need to get the DecTalk USB to work with JAWS
6.0?

Steven Marks
Visit Menokin Web at <http://www.menokinweb.com/> for information on
The Northern Neck businesses, organizations and up-coming events, Fire
Rescue safety tips, News Headlines, Message Boards, Games, and more!