RE: DSL question

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 15:59:16 -0400

Hi Judith,

One thing you could do with your current ISP is set up an auto-responder
message (this is usually done via their web mail interface) that tells
anyone who sends email to your address that it has changed to <give your
new address> and they will need to resend the email.  Alternatively, if
you don't necessarily want everyone to know your new email address,
again via your old ISPs web email interface, you can set it up to
forward all email to your new email address, and then notify those
people who send you something that your address has changed.  You'd have
to do this on a case-by-case basis though.

You'd then keep both old and new ISP accounts active for some period of
time (say 3 months) to give everyone time to get the news.  You may be
able to switch your old isp account to a type where you don't get much
time (because you won't need any) and save a little money for these
months.

As for your sending out a broadcast email,  Each email program is
different, but basically you go into your address book and select all
and then choose to send a message.

Lastly,  If your Norton doesn't have a software firewall, you should
have one.  If it's not constantly telling you that various programs are
trying to get to the internet, and asking you if it should let them or
not, then it doesn't have one or you don't have it turned on.  This is a
bother at first, and confusing as you're not always sure how to answer,
but it is supposed to alert you when/if programs you don't recognize
want to get to the internet that you could possibly have some spyware.

DSL is no more dangerous than being on the internet dialed up, unless
you leave your pc turned on all the time; leaving it turned on gives the
bad guys more time to try and play with it is all, but dsl is not
inherantly any more risky.

hth,

Chip

Chip Orange