Customization

  • From: "Edward Marquette" <emarquette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 02:33:19 -0600

I am looking for suggestions in configuring JAWS or in writing scripts
to handle the following problem:
My new firm uses a document management product called Docs Open.  Rather
than access the operating system's file names directly, this program
assigns file names with numbers.  One uses various kinds of search
criteria to identify the files, criteria that is stored in an SQL
database.
Now for the problem:
Search results are stored in rows and columns, though it is neither a
true table nor a spreadsheet.
The leftmost column displays the file number, the next displays the
document description.  As one moves the cursor through this listing, the
current selection is highlighted, and JAWS reads the line (or row)
perfectly.  Unfortunately, it reads the number first, and I am told I
cannot change the order of the columns.  The most important information
is the description, but I have to wait while the synthesizer calls out
the seven digit document number.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could get JAWS to read all the
highlighted text, except the column with the digits in the document
number?

Ed Marquette
930 West 34th St.
Kansas City, MO 64111