Current status of spss with JFW?

  • From: Claus Thøgersen <c.thoeg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jfw engelsk" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 07:04:42 +0200

Hi,

I am supporting blind students at Aarhus University in Denmark.
The students who are using SPSS and JAWS, has almost given up on getting any
usefull information from the current version 19 of SPSS.

There is on the SPSS CD and online a pdf document, untagged of course, that
describes how to use Java Access Bridge, and how to set a few extra
environment variables, and then according to the document jaws should work, but this
documentation is written for SPSS version 15, and jaws 8, not JAWS 12 and
SPSS 19.

I have  mailed the original author of some very old SPSS scripts that was
included with JFW 4.5, but he is no longer involved in this type of work. He
has received a mail from another blind user who reports that for him this
worked fine with JFW 11 and SPSS 18.

The 2 students I have talked to has not been able to get speech out from
SPSS,actually this has been getting worse  in the latest versions. The 1
student who has used spss in the past  has told me that in version 18  he
cannot even get speech feedback from the menus from jaws.

I am going to get a copy of SPSs, and I am trying to get in contact with
technical support people from IBM, but they insist that I start  with the
local support people in Denmark, and I am not going to get any usefull
information from the students that they use to answer calls after normal
work hours, but at least I am in the process of getting in contact with a
real support person, but if somebody on this list has ideas suggestions or
knows anything about how I solve this problem I would like to hear about it.

Regards

Claus Thøgersen

Alternative archives located at: