Re: Correctly Installing JFW 5.844 Under WinXp Home??

  • From: "Greg Epley" <gregepley@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 09:42:01 -0600

I am also on XP Home, have 4.51 installed, mostly as a fallback while FS
gets more fixed in 5.  My original 5.0 release was 621.  I had some problems
going to 844 and was told by FS support to uninstall 5.00.844, including
deleting it from the root of the drive so no trace of it was left.  SAPI 4
Detect was locking up my machine, so then I find out I need to run JAWS not
as a service under XP, just long enough to use SAPI 4 Detect, then I can run
JAWS as a service again.  Only weird problem I've had so far is on a laptop,
844 decided to just not speak at all on startup, then just as miraculously
decided it would again.  I think FS needs to back off putting bells and
whistles in the product and focus on fixing the problems for more consistent
results.  Makes me wonder how good the beta testers are, that so many people
seem to have so many odd problems.  I realize there are a large number of
hardware and software issues to resolve, but I also think the results could
be a lot more consistent than they are.  It would also help if FS would
develop some methodology of providing some suggested installation hints one
could read prior to installing the product and having one's system go
haywire.

My recommendation for your problem would be to completely uninstall your 5.0
release, including deleting it off the hard drive, then reinstall 844.  You
should be able to leave your 4.51 release as is.
-Greg Epley