RE: Correction sought for reading problems with Word 2 k

  • From: "Rose Combs" <rosecombs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 10:14:28 -0700

I have a similar problem on my work computer but not at home.  At home
it all seems to work just fine.

At work I have an extra Novell desktop that cannot be moved or changed
in anyway, and word is working through a program called ChartScript.  I
also have a Nex-Wave player, to hear the dictation from which is a
window we cannot minimize and it is in a fixed position, so I have
assumed that most of my Word problems on the work computer stem from
this particular setup since at home I have no word problems except that
my status line usually doesn't read correctly.

Two things may help, try refreshing the screen (insert-escape) that
often does the trick, however, sometimes it does not, then go to the top
of the document, then use the down arrow swiftly just hearing maybe the
first bit of a line to return to where you were, hopefully you don't
have a 500 page document in this case.

I also note at work that if I open the local word on my computer before
I enter ChartScript, and then close it and then enter Chart Script some
of these problems are not quite as bad.  One thing I find particularly
annoying is that there are certain places in a document (generally about
line 48/52) where I have problems editing, sometimes Jaws seems to get
stuck on the same letter saying it over again and again, but sighted
co-workers say that the cursor is actually moving word by word like I
want, or character by character.

I have to assume it is all the extra stuff the hospital has on the
computer that contributes to this problem for me.

The last thing I'd try is the resolution, mine at work works better at a
higher resolution than the computers are usually set for the rest of my
office, people complain about my small print, but it does work better
with Jaws.

Rose Combs
rosecombs@xxxxxxxxx