Re: Contextual Quotes: OE Accessible Add-On?

  • From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:34:23 +0100

It is indeed a hassle for those of us who subscribe to lots of blind-interest lists (which tend to prefer top-posting), lots of other lists (which tend to prefer quotations interspersed with commentary), and also conduct lots of office email correspondence (where top-posting is often the norm, probably to facilitate forwarding topics around). I think blind-interest lists' preference for top-posting basically reflects unnecessary screen reader limitations. (As far as I know there's no technical barrier to jumping from one bit of new commentary to another, for example.)

Thunderbird does make things easier (it has a Paste as Quotation command). And there's also a macro for doing something similar when composing emails in Word which might help:

http://urlx.org/mc-thias.org/2d9b9

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis

Kane Brolin wrote:
I just survived a weekend-long flame war on another list that resulted
from a debate over how a message should be posted: top-posted,
bottom-posted, or inline with contextual quotations.  (I think I still
have second-degree burns. Ouch!)  I had no idea the culture of some
lists is so sensitive to this.

So I'm wondering whether there is a function or add-on for Outlook
Express that makes it easy for a totally blind person using JAWS to
take snippets of a prior message in a string and to cut&paste such
snippets into one's own reply.  I've seen this done before; but to do
it myself, I've needed to export the original message to a Word
processing program, do manual editing inside of it (as with Microsoft
Word), and then paste the result back into the body of a new e-mail
message.  The only way I've known to reply automatically with any
context in Outlook Express is through bottom- or top-posting.

What is the best way for doing this?  Or should I switch to another
e-mail client such as Thunderbird?

Kind regards,

-Kane