Re: Connecting to WIFI with JAWS

  • From: "Tom Lange" <trlange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 15:08:45 -0800

Hi Alan,
You wrote:
The only thing I have to figure out is how to stop Internet Explorer 8 from
trying to connect via my normal dial-up connection, because it takes time for
it to figure out that there is no telephone wire connected. When Internet
Explorer finally figures out there is no telephone connection, it gives me a
connect button, which forces it to connect via the WIFI connection. There must
be some configuration setting I need to change, but I haven't found it yet.
Anyway, thanks for all your assistance.

Okay.  I've forgotten which flavor of Windows you're running, so you may need
to look around a bit if you're not using XP.  To disable a dialup connection:
1. Open IE8, then open the Tools menu and go into Internet Options, or you can
access Internet Options from Control Panel.
2. Switch to the Connections Tab by pressing ctrl+tab repeatedly until you get
there.
 Pressing ctrl+tab four times oughta do it.
3. Tab several times until you get to the radio button that controls whether or
not a dialup connection is attempted.  Set this radio button to "never dial a
connection".
4. Click OK, then exit Control Panel if you went in that way.

That should do the trick.

Tom