Confusion about Sun Java Console in IE

  • From: "KANE BROLIN" <k.brolin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 17:16:11 -0500

Greetings, everyone.

Because I am not the only user of my home PC, I've loaded Java Runtime
Environment 1.5 so that my sighted wife, whenever necessary, can view
Java-enabled Web pages or games.  This tool, though, presents an
inconvenience for me given my total blindness in light of the operating
system I use at home.  Since JRE by default presents a Java toolbar whenever
a Java-enabled Web page pops up, this feature makes the Web page virtually
invisible to me.  I can't use the Virtual PC Cursor or the JAWS cursor to
read anything; in fact, all I can do when such a page comes up is to hit
Ins+F7 to get a list of available links.

Our home system, an older Compaq Presario desktop, uses Windows 98 SE.  From
testing our office systems, I know that, if your Windows operating system is
XP Pro with SP2, there is a menu entry in IE's tools called "Third Party
Plug-ins."  This tool lets me disable or enable at will plug-ins such as the
Sun Java tool bar.  But no such feature is apparent in IE if the OS is older
than XP SP2.

Is there a way I can still keep the functionality of Java, whenever my wife
needs it, yet disable that toolbar in Windows 98 so I can read all page
content as normal?

Kind regards,

Kane Brolin