Re: Checking www.att.yahoo.com

  • From: Kerneels Roos <kerneels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:50:37 +0200

Hi Claudia,

I suspect your JFW 9 hangs and that's why you have to reboot in order to
get up and running with speech again.  The reason it hangs might be
because the web interface to your email employes some DHTML and
JavaScript that totally confuses JFW 9 and sends it in some infinite
program loop or something.

I've basically given up on reading email through a web interface with
speech only.  I'm parcially sighted, so when JFW hangs I can kill it
from the Systems Processes dialog and then restart it. What also works
is if you have NVDA on your system. Some times it copes better with
complex web pages sporting DHTML and JavaScript.

As I've said, I have a bit of eyesight, so if all else fails I just zoom
up with ZoomText and go at it slowly, which is very hard and
painfull ;-)

The best way to cope with emails is through a proper email client
application like Outlook, Thunderbird or Evolution (under Ubuntu Linux).

It is possible to set those email clients up so that they can retrieve
traditionally web-based email accounts, like Gmail, Yahoo and so on --
it just depends on the providers of the service.

Furthermore, it is possible to set it up in such a way that you don't
totally download emails -- you just download the header info, like
sender, subject and so on. If you are interested in the email then the
application retrieves the whole email for you, but only when you want
that email. This method of interacting with the email server is called
IMAP. The way email is usually setup where the client draws all the new
emails each time it connects to the server is called POP or POP3.

With an IMAP setup to Gmail via the Evolution email client, or the
Thunderbird email client, I was for example, able to get access to
thousands of my old Gmail emails without having to wait for all of them
to download. I only had to wait for the headers to download. Then when I
want a specific email I enter on it and I retrieve just that specific
email's contents.

Hope this helps!