Re: Change the keystroke used to stop speech with JFW 7?

  • From: Bruce Toews <dogriver@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:30:29 -0500 (CDT)

That wouldn't help in what he's trying to do. What he wants to do is to have the control key not silence JAWS, and I don't think this can be done.

Bruce

--
Bruce Toews
E-mail and MSN/Windows Messenger: dogriver@xxxxxxxx

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Adam wrote:

Hi James,

Her is an answer to some of your questions:

Have you tried the old "Key Pass Through" feature in Jaws 7.0? That's Insert + 3, followed by your application specific key combination. The wording or terminology may sound strange for the folks on the side walk, or even for a dedicated metal worker, but it's a nice feature to deal with key combination interfering with Jaws own keystrokes. Normally, I use it whenever an application keystroke is conflicting with Jaws. And the Control key will still work to silence Jaws, if needed.

Sometimes, reassigning keys in Windows environment is not recommended because there are too many hidden running applications and we don't have any info or control on them. Moreover, updates, patches, fixes, etc, may change any settings we've made and force us to reconfigure, endlessly. I just miss standards sometimes! Anyway, try Insert + 3 and keep us posted.

Best regards,

Adam

James wrote:

 I need to use the control key for some commands in a program I use, but
 also need to be alerted by JFW if something happens while I'm using those
 commands. The control key makes that pretty much impossible. I'm wondering
 how it can be done to change the key combination used for it to something
 a little less interfering. I tried assigning a key combination to the stop
 speech script in the default keymap file, but all that did was make that
 key combination work and didn't cancel the use of the control key. Is
 there a way I can accomplish that?

 James,
 List Admin