Re: Change the keystroke used to stop speech with JFW 7?

  • From: Adam <adam.daou@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:27:00 -0400

You're right! Two key combinations is not always a good idea. We need some kind of System Wide Keystroke Table to allow users to reassign key combinations at will for both Jaws and Windows Applications. Maybe there's a program out there to do just that.

Adam

James wrote:

Oh, I know about that. I just figure why use two key combinations when one will work just as well if not better? And I doubt the combination I plan to use will be used anywhere else... ever. LOL

James,
List Admin

At 09:40 PM 10/19/2005, you wrote:

Hi James,

Her is an answer to some of your questions:

Have you tried the old "Key Pass Through" feature in Jaws 7.0? That's Insert + 3, followed by your application specific key combination. The wording or terminology may sound strange for the folks on the side walk, or even for a dedicated metal worker, but it's a nice feature to deal with key combination interfering with Jaws own keystrokes. Normally, I use it whenever an application keystroke is conflicting with Jaws. And the Control key will still work to silence Jaws, if needed.

Sometimes, reassigning keys in Windows environment is not recommended because there are too many hidden running applications and we don't have any info or control on them. Moreover, updates, patches, fixes, etc, may change any settings we've made and force us to reconfigure, endlessly. I just miss standards sometimes! Anyway, try Insert + 3 and keep us posted.

Best regards,

Adam

James wrote:

I need to use the control key for some commands in a program I use, but also need to be alerted by JFW if something happens while I'm using those commands. The control key makes that pretty much impossible. I'm wondering how it can be done to change the key combination used for it to something a little less interfering. I tried assigning a key combination to the stop speech script in the default keymap file, but all that did was make that key combination work and didn't cancel the use of the control key. Is there a way I can accomplish that?

James,
List Admin