Re: Can Jaws slow down your computer?

  • From: "Shawn Keen" <dkeen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 10:09:18 -0500

42? Just curious if you can see that somewhere under system resources

The best compairison I've seen is if your converting a few large .ogg files with gold wave to mp3 and you unload jaws it will convert a heck of a lot faster with out jaws than it will with it. That was on my wife's dell laptop on my new system I can run 3 copies of gold wave converting files and it's amazingly fast. the computer acts as if I am not doing anything.

This is on a laptop with 2 gigs of memory and a dule core processor.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Blake Sinnett" <frequency660@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: JSiskCSA@xxxxxxx Reply-To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: Can Jaws slow down your computer? Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 10:53:31 EDT

In a message dated 9/27/2006 2:31:56 PM Eastern Standard Time, jtorres6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I've been using Jaws for 8 years now and I've had 2 computers both of them
have always been slow. Can Jaws bee the reason?
Jeanette

Dear Jeanette

JAWS is a memory HOG. I am running a hp Pavillion laptop with JAWS and
upgraded to 2GB RAM. That seems to have cured the "Hog's" memory appetite.

Also, and I've never had a problem with this, run regular disk cleanup with
either the Windows utility or Norton. Plus, if necessary, run defrag with
Windows utility or Norton. In addition, delete your temporary internet files
and cookies on a regular basis, as this will make your internet a tad faster
too. Keep as only those icons on your desktop for applications you run. If
you haven't run a particular application in atleast 4 months, delete the icon.
It can always be put back later if needed.

Also make sure your video card has enough on board memory for it's  use.
This will cut down on your video taking system memory.

When it all boils down, you want to give JAWS as much elbow room to operate
as possible.

John

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.407 / Virus Database: 268.12.12/461 - Release Date: 10/2/2006

-- JFW related links: JFW homepage: http://www.freedomscientific.com/ Scripting mailing list: http://lists.the-jdh.com/listinfo.cgi/scriptography-the-jdh.com JFW List instructions: To post a message to the list, send it to jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send a message to jfw-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in the subject line. Archives located at: //www.freelists.org/archives/jfw