Re: C++ Instruction for Blinks

  • From: Soronel Haetir <soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:18:15 -0900

On 12/18/09, William L. Houts <cadexi@xxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Listers,
>
> I've become very interested in learning C++ programming and am investigating
> the possibility of logging time in an online school or even a local
> community college.  I was wondering if there are others here who learned C
> programming and how doable it is as a blind person.  My philosophy has
> always been that everything, or nearly everything, is doable as a blind
> person but I'd like to hear from programming veterans, if such there are.
>

> --Bill

I learned C/C++ long before going blind, I continue to program now.  I
would certainly expect it to be doable, it's just a matter of how much
effort you are willing to put into it.  As far as courses go my
experience with formal programming education has been that you learn
much more on your own.  More theoretical courses such as a language
agnostic data structures class would be far more valuable if you are
serious.

However I don't know how many texts are actually available to the
blind, certainly my experience with bookshare is that c and c++ have
been all but ignored.  The first title I would look for is Accelerated
C++ by Andrew Koenig and Barbara Moo.  It is an excellent introduction
to how C++ should be used, rather than a C text that happens to cover
C++ ideas.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx