Re: Buying a New System--Any Suggestions?

  • From: Chipmunks <chipmunks@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:41:58 +0200

This is off topic for this list. Please don't send scores of replies to an off topic post.

Thanks.

Doris

At 04:42 PM 7/19/2005 -0500, you wrote:
Hi Heidi,
I just went through this process about a month ago.  I had been using
Windows 98 se, until then.

I know you said you were going to buy Jaws 6, but one thing to keep in mind
is that Windows XP, you have to have the Professional version of jaws to use
XP Pro, or if you have standard Jaws then XP Home.

I took my Jaws 6 cd along with me, when I went shopping, and had no problem
with any of the places I went installing Jaws to see how it would work with
the computers I was interested in.

I was looking for a notebook, and purchased a refurbished IBM Thinkpad, R51.

Since I have standard Jaws, and the notebook was running XP Pro, I asked
them to change to XP Home.  That's probably more trouble than most people
want to go to, but it worked for me.

I also checked out a Dell and a Fujitsu, and saw no problems with Jaws on
any models I tried that day.

You might want to think about what features are important to you.

Sorry this has been longwinded, but I have to say, moving to XP was not the
hassle I had expected, and I am enjoying the notebook.

Good luck with the search for your new computer.

Crystal