Re: British Accent

  • From: "Tom Lange" <trlange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 11:38:13 -0800

Hey there David,
You wrote:

> From my work computer at the California Departmet of Correctcions, when
> I go to at least some pages of the DGS (Department of General Services)
> web site, the computer starts talking with a British accent.  It's
> totally understandable, but annoying.  I am using JFW 5.1 on our huge
> statewide XP-Pro Intranet system.  How can I get my computer to stay in
> American English?

Hopefully I'm not off base here. What may be  happening is that JAWS is
looking at the html code on the pages in question and triggering a change in
synthesizer language. I think what you need to do is go into the config
manager and into html options. Tab into the dialog a little ways and you'll
find a checkbox that says something like "detect languages". Uncheck it,
click OK and save the configuration. That should do the trick.
Cheers!
Tom