Re: Bank of America

  • From: "Adrian Spratt" <A.Spratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 17:31:03 -0500

This Bank of America problem is a combination of JAWS issues and the difficulties the bank seems to be having incorporating the recently acquired MBNA system and customer accounts. When my MBNA credit cards were transferred to Bank of America, I had the user name conflict described by another lister, and then I couldn't set up the graphic key, or whatever they call it. Now that my account is set up, the main difficulty is that there are so many pages to sift through to log in and then to find different features.

for anyone needing technical assistance or wishing to make a point about accessibility, as I did, this is the relevant part of an email I got from Bank of America, though after literally hours waiting on the phone and several attempts to reach them by email:

For assistance with online access difficulties, please contact our Online Technical Support Department at 1.800.933.6262.

That number appears to be picked up fairly promptly. But be warned. The man I dealt with was infuriating. After I'd explained the access issue, he kept saying, "If you look at the top left-hand corner..." In spite of his help, I got the job done, thanks mainly to a sighted friend who sat alongside during the call. It's been a long time since a bank has made it impossible for me to be independent.

Bank of America needs to know they're creating needless difficulties for screenreader users. I encourage everyone affected to alert them.

Adrian Spratt