Re: Backup questions, I use a external hard drive

  • From: "Michael G." <commodore128@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 16:00:25 -0600

Hi,

I had no idea that Windows XP would not let you boot off an external hard drive. That is certainly good information to know. I guess it makes sense now that I think about it since none of the USB ports would be active until Windows had booted up. So with the Casper software, you were able to create an image of your hard drive, including the operating system without much trouble? From what I gathered of your message, I'm assuming you still needed to get sighted assistance to create the backup of the operating system right? It's good to know that at least making backups of regular data using Casper was Jaws friendly. I have Norton System Works which I believe includes Norton Ghost, but I haven't installed that particular application yet. Once I get the new hard drive, I'll go ahead and install Ghost. It sounds to me though, like I'm going to have to purchase both an internal and an external hard drive. I still want the external so that I can keep everything in a separate, and safe place. It'd also make moving files to other computers much easier as well. One other question, when you're using your backup software and external drive, do you find the process of backing up files from multiple computers to be a simple task? I've noticed that some of these external hard drives have these "one-touch" backup features, and I'm wondering if the software is able to tell that the drive is being attached to different computers before going ahead and making the backup. Thanks for the info and help.

Michael

----- Original Message ----- From: "AB7HW Dick Lee Chrisman" <ab7hw@xxxxxxx>