RE: Backup Program Availability

  • From: "Delaunay Christophe" <christophe.delaunay@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 17:18:20 +0200

Hi Dave,

You just wrote:

[DC]

>I'll get sighted help to set my USB port of choice to be bootable

[ChD]

In general, you don't need to configure one USB port in particular but
the boot sequence itself and, sometimes, the USB chipset if it's a
little bit old but not always.

For instance, on my brand new Asus laptop, I only modified the boot
sequence in the BIOS setup as follows:

First: CD/DVD-ROM drive. Second: USB Removable storage. Third: Internal
hard drive.

The laptop has four USB ports. However, when I turn it on, it doesn't
mind the port my bootable key is plugged in. If it 'sees' a bootable
CD/DVD into its drive, it boots from it. Otherwise, if it 'sees' my
bootable USB key on one of its USB ports, (no matter which one it is),
it boots from the key. Otherwise, it boots from its internal hard drive.
However, since this computer doesn't have any true serial port, I needed
to create dedicated .bat files for it.

[DC]

>I do have a USB floppy drive that I can then use to create a system
disk

>as you suggest.

[ChD]

Sorry. In my case, it was an older PC with an internal floppy drive.
Although it should be possible to boot a PC from a USB floppy drive with
a boot diskette inside of it, I never tried since I don't have any USB
floppy drive and I don't need any indeed.

I only know that, in some BIOSes, "USB floppy drive" is a special item
to place appropriately in the boot sequence if you want your PC to boot
from a diskette placed into a USB drive. It is the case in particular
for the Asus laptop mentioned above.

In some other BIOSes, USB floppy drives are handled just like regular
USB keys. Sorry but all that stuff hardly depends on the manufacturer
and model.

Also, please note that there are other ways to create bootable USB keys.
I didn't pay attention to them since I could find mine but google did
from what I could remember. In its "google search" edit field, I entered

How to create a bootable USB key

And google returned several results.

HTH. Have a nice day. Chris