Audio Enriched Links Q & A

  • From: Peter Parente <parente@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 20:28:13 -0400

To answer all the questions and concerns that have come up:

1) Yes, I would call this version of the software a beta version. It's
an off shoot of my graduate research in assistive technology. I'm hoping
to make it better, but only can with your help.

2) The software is an addon for JAWS. It doesn't make it's own program
group in the Start Menu, icons on the desktop, etc. The installer just
puts the necessary components on your harddrive in your Program Files
folder and patches the JAWS Internet Explorer scripts to make calls to
the Audio Enriched Links program. All you should need to do is install
it, start a new IE browser, navigate to a link somehow, and then press
Control and ` to get a preview for that link.

3) Some people are having trouble getting the software to work. I'm that
with different systems there will be different problems. If you're
having trouble, please report your version of JAWS, your version of
Internet Explorer, and your version of Windows along with a description
of the problem you're having. I'm happy to try to resolve your problem,
but I need your help. Everywhere I've tried to install the software
(which is four machines now, all with Windows XP, Internet Explorer 6,
and both JAWS 4.51 and JAWS 5.0) it's worked fine, so I'll need your
assistance in trying to find the bugs.

4) Right now, the software installs for the highest version of JAWS
installed on your computer only. If you have 4.51 and 5.0 installed, it
will install for 5.0 only. As for multiple copies of the same version of
JAWS, I'm not sure what the software does. It looks at the registry keys
that Freedom Scientific creates when you install JAWS and gets the path
to JAWS from there. I will try to add an option to select which copy of
JAWS gets patched with the addon in the next version.

Keep the comments coming. It would be great to hear from anyone who has
actually gotten the software to work too. It looks like a couple people
may have, but maybe I'm wrong. Is everyone having trouble?

Regards,
Pete