Re: Attention : German knowing people

  • From: "Christine Menges" <c.menges@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 09:09:58 -0600

hi,
    I'm not a native German speaker but have enjoyed learning it to the best of
my ability.
1. In order to use Jaws entirely in German, you would have to  buy a different
version.  However, you can change the synthesiser language to German.  You can
also set jaws so that when it detects a foreign language (ie something which is
not English) it will change for you.  The instructions would differ slightly
depending upon which version of Jaws you are using.
2. In my opinion, the best way to scan German materials is by using a program
called Kurzweil 1000.  This also comes with a German voice.
3.  I find it necessary to slow the speech down for German, but if you are new
to synthetic speech this may not be necessary.  Jaws will change if you visit a
German site unless you have disabled the function.
4.   There is a European language learning website but I have misplaced the
address.
5.  I have seen chats Etc. for German blind users but am aware of no groups off
of the top of my head.
I have to go to work, let me know if I can help you more. Christine