RE: Application 4 using the phone?

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:32:29 -0400

Slade,

Outlook can be used to dial the phone for any number stored in it's
database of contacts.  Some voice modems come with a speaker phone type
of software application you could then activate with a keystroke to turn
the pc into a speaker phone (I used to have one long ago, but have since
traded pcs).

There are probably many other applications which manage your contact
list (or address book) and which will dial the phone for you, but
likely, you'll have to use a second application if you want the pc to
act as a speaker phone.

If you sign up for one of the national VoIP services, they may give you
such all-in-one software, but be aware, a recent published article said
they all had high rates of downtime, and that was my own recent
experience with hurricane Dennis here in Florida.  My high-speed cable
service was out for 24 hours, while my standard phone line never
stopped!  It's one thing if this is only a second phone service for you,
but I don't think I'd give up the standard "land line" just yet, as
often when there's a power outtage, cell towers are down as well.

Chip

Chip Orange
Database Administrator
Florida Public Service Commission