Re: Announcing Highlighted text

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 10:03:59 -0800

Hi,

I know this perfectly well; in fact, for all my visual disability, I can
even still simply see the color change.  And years ago, I , too, called
selected screen elements highlighted.

I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but "selected" really did become the
operative term in documentation some years ago already, now.  honestly, it
did.  I can barely remember a time when any official discussion of this sort
of thing talked about "highlighting" anything.  It's as if that was just a
descriptive, conversational way for most of us to say what visibly happened,
when we selected something.  But "select" was what we were actually doing,
procedurally and functionally.  The highlighting is just the visual way to
*show* what's been selected.  Eventually, I just began to refer to this the
same way all documentation did, and I'm none the worse for it, I don't
think.

but enough.  I don't want to get points off for going off topic into a
discussion about the evolution of computer terminology...