Re: Announcing Highlighted text

  • From: "Michael G." <commodore128@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 11:59:23 -0600

Hi expereince lthogh you,

It's difficult to remember an instance of when I could have used this command because it's not something that has come up often at all. It's funny, but the last time I needed this command was about three weeks ago and I had to take a test that's required by the state in order for me to be able to teach computer classes along with access technology. This question concerning the announcement of selected text came up during the Jaws portion of the test and I didn't have a clue what the answer was. Ironically, I happened to know the command for Window Eyes of all things and I don't even know Window Eyes all that well. But besides that, one instance I can think of where you might use this command is if you're looking to select a large block of text, perhaps a paragraph that is four or five lines long. Now let's say you select this paragraph using Control+Shift+Down arrow (which will select the entire paragraph), but, then you suddenly remember there might have been a line of text at the end of the paragraph you didn't want selected. Here you could have Jaws announce the selected text to insure you have what you wanted rather than arrowing down to the end of the paragraph to make sure there wasn't any unwanted text selected. But who knows, it might well be faster to just go ahead and do exactly that. It really depends on your preference. I realize this probably wasn't the best example but it's the only one I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there was some other instance I wanted this command for but I can't recall it at the moment. As to your point about referring to this concept as selecting text or highlighting text, it is primarily something that came out of my prior experiences from when I was able to see. Right now I'm not able to see much of anything. But for as long as I can remember, with all the computer courses I've taken and all the computer books I've read, It was almost always the case that they referred to this concept as highlighting. And if you're able to see, it really does look as if you're taking a highlighter pen and marking text in a book. But the terms selecting and highlighting are interchangeable. It did pose a problem for me though because it prevented me from finding this command in the Jaws help file. I was looking for the term highlight when I should have been lookking for select.

Michael