Re: Amazon.com, and JAWS 7.0, stick with the tried and true!

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 11:33:45 -0600

hi. I know someone who is also using JAWS 5.0 and she is also experiencing problems with Amazon.com, so not everybody using that version is happily shopping either.
This problem only started in the last day or so. So if you haven't visited since Friday, try it today and you'll see what we're all talking about. Friday afternoon it was fine, today it isn't.

At 11:15 AM 11/6/2005, you wrote:
Well, Amazon isn't an easy site to navigate, and it has been difficult for some time because they insist on putting a bunch of extraneous junk on it.

Be that as it may, I find the Amazon.com/access site to be incomplete and therefore don't recommend it to others.

I have noted some differences in JFW 7 versus earlier versions. Interestingly, on Fragrancex.net, there is a button to add an item to the cart. Doing all the usual tricks with JFW 4.51 (clicking on the button, left-mouse clicking on the button) didn't add the item to the cart. Apparently, there was a problem with the JFW virtual cursor (read: active accessibility?). When I disabled this and linked and linked around to finally find the button, a press of the spacebar activated it.

After trying that with JFW 4.51, I went back to the same site with JFW 7 and it worked flawlessly.

Today, I went to Amazon.com and searched for a music CD and got the results with no problem using JFW 4.51. I have not tried it with 7.0, assuming that I'd get the same problems that many of you experienced. Since somebody else reported it working fine with Version 5.0, I guess it reinforces the idea that it is a good practice to keep an older version of the program around in case FS introduces some bugs in newer versions that have yet to be squashed.

Steve