Admin: Recent list conduct

  • From: James <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:35:49 -0500

All,

Reality has kind of decided I wasn't busy enough so I unfortunately haven't had as much time as I'd like to devote to this list. However, that being said, that is no excuse whatsoever for the kinds of postings I've been reading, hearing about reading, and having complained about on the list. Every single one of you should be mature enough to understand, fully, what "no off-topic posting" means. List admin or not, I shouldn't have to be sitting here 24 hours a day just in case someone decides to see if today they can slip something amidst the rest of the list traffic. This list was running just fine for a month or so, and I didn't necessarily *need* to remind people that yes, I'm still here and still keeping an eye on things. As I've said before, I'm all for discussion, debate, whatever. As long as it doesn't violate the list guidelines, the most obvious of which is, as has been stated on this list *way* too many times, no off-topic posts. Apparently diplomacy has decided to take a back seat to people who figure they're just that good that my rules don't apply to them. Well, here's a rule that will, and that's effective as of the instant you opened this email. There will be no warnings regarding off-topic posts. The original poster will be moderated, no questions asked, answered, or hinted at. The thread will be closed right then and there. And if the issue chooses to be pushed, then I find it much easier to remove people from the list rather than argue with them over it. The list is to do with JFW, not disability rights, not cell phones, not file sharing. If JAWS for Windows is not involved, then it doesn't go on this list. I have no problem with people asking me before posting, so long as they don't throw a hissy fit if I tell them no (it's happened). If you're gonna throw a fit and post it anyway, or post it without asking, then you just used up your one warning. Harsh? Probably. Unfair? Maybe. But, people were given the choice before... stick to the topic of the list, or leave. some of these people have proven they are incapable of making that choice. So, for the sake of everyone's mailboxes and my sanity, I'll make that choice for them. That'll get me called every name in the book and a few new ones, I'm sure, but them's the breaks. This is a discussion forum, not a babysitting service. If you can't keep the discussion within list guidelines, then you can't be here. It really is as simple as that.

James,
List Admin