Admin: List Policy

  • From: quanin <quanin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:50:26 -0400

Due to recent developments that have just now been brought to my attention,
I have sped up the distribution of the currently up-to-date policy,
including adding a policy that, while common sense would dictate this to be
the case, it still deserves mentioning. As always, if anyone has questions
with regards list policy, the email address of jfw-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx is
always functional. Failing that, you can email me directly at
james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or quanin@xxxxxxxxxxxx (I have both subscribed for
simplisity's sake).
**Policies**

1: Keep it clean. We're a family list, and there are people here who
probably don't want to hear everything *exactly* that's running through
your head. If you wouldn't see it on TV, it doesn't belong in a post to the
list. If you're not sure, email me at jfw-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx before you
post it to the list. Otherwise, you stand to see your posts moderated.
2: Stay on topic. We're a JFW-oriented list. That said, anything related to
JFW, its functionality with programs etc is acceptable. If it doesn't have
to do with JFW, it doesn't belong on the list. This includes, but isn't
limited to, talk of other screen readers such as Window Eyes.
3: Listen to, and respect, the wishes of the admins/moderators. If you're
asked by an admin or moderator to drop a subject, or take something to
private emails (in the instance of two people carrying on a thread
list-wide), please do so. If the subject is changed on a thread by an admin
or moderator, it will be explained why in the email sent out with it.
Please don't continue replying to the old subject.
4: Don't ask over the list for a position on the list administration. If
you'd like to help out, it's of course welcome, but address the request to
do so to jfw-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx otherwise it'll be ignored. Requests are
always welcome, whether help is being looked for or not. When help is
needed, a post will be made to the list. The requests already received will
be kept in mind.
5: Keep flaming to a minimum. This is not limited to flaming of each other,
but goes beyond that, to flaming of products, opinions, ideas, suggestions,
etc. Constructive criticism never hurts. Flame wars, especially public
ones, both drive people from this list and are unwelcome here. either take
the problem to private emails, or report the problem to list administration.
6. Respect the opinions and views of others. This is *very* important in
any environment, most especially an online environment where the only gage
one has on a person is what that person puts to writing. If you come off as
hostile in your posting, whether you intended to or not, people will take
it as such. Online, "face value" means just that. People make mistakes,
people don't always have access to the same information you do. For that
matter, people don't always have the same experience you do. If you know
how someone can solve their problem, great. Suggest it to them and/or the
list. Do *not* proceed to tell someone, on or off list, that they have no
business posting. Repeat offenders of this particular rule will be banned
for a week to 30 days, depending on the severity.

As always, if there are problems or questions with regards these policies,
don't hesitate to send them to me off-list at jfw-admins.freelists.org.
Thank you, and I *really* hope this experience turns out to be equally
enjoyable for all of us.

James,
List Admin